After pouring your blood, sweat, and tears into creating a great piece of content, there’s no reason to let an amazing blog post, uber-popular social post, or highly informative explainer video get lost in the shuffle.
Instead, you can maximize the ROI of great content by repurposing your content.
What is content repurposing?
Content repurposing is the content marketing practice of reusing or recycling elements of existing content into a new format. Think: expanding a popular Instagram post into a blog post.
Repurposing content keeps relevant content out in the world, ensures maximum reach of content, and makes the most of a marketer’s efforts.
Repurposing content is the perfect way to extend the shelf life of your content and ensure your best, most popular pieces keep getting another go-around.
The benefits of repurposing content
Content marketers understand the effort, labor, and time that goes into producing an excellent piece of content. Repurposing content is a way to make the most of all that effort and share relevant, useful information with your target audiences.
“The benefits to repurposing content are considerable. When you focus your energy on producing one awesome asset (say, an in-depth blog post or video), you’re likely to produce a better piece of work than you would by dividing your attention across every platform you’re responsible for. By creating said content with repurposing in mind from the beginning, you can reuse pieces of it elsewhere without your audience feeling like you’re cutting corners. That frees you up to focus on doing one thing really well, while still getting tons more work done with way less effort,” explains Ben Sailer on the CoSchedule blog.
Repurposing content offers a myriad of benefits to content marketers including:
- Reach a new audience – Everyone absorbs information in different ways. Repurposing content allows you to reach the widest audience possible. With content repurposing, your best content becomes available to everyone.
- Establish expert status – A+ content shares top-level expertise and solutions. By continually re-sharing and repurposing your best content, you can establish authority, broadcast your knowledge, and stand out from the herd.
- Make it easier – Creating great content is a labor of love. Content repurposing saves marketers from having to come up with every single email, Tweet, or blog from scratch, every time.
- Improve SEO – Re-sharing or repurposing content across new channels boosts your SEO by creating high quality backlinks to your website.
- Second chance promotion – Despite mountains of hard work and the best of intentions, sometimes great content fails to make a splash. Repurposing content, or publishing at different times, allows new readers to discover your brilliant blog post or extra-helpful Tweet.
It’s clear that to max out the value of your content, repurposing is key. But, where do you begin? In order to reuse, recycle, and repurpose your content, consider a few simple steps.
Choose the right content
First, in order to successfully repurpose your content, you must evaluate your content.
The general rule of thumb is that the best kind of content to repurpose is evergreen content. Evergreen content contains information that is always useful and never really goes out of date.
Additionally, evergreen content is content that consistently performs well. In order to find your most popular content, track your website analytics and social analytics. The most popular or highest-performing pieces are the pieces to start with.
On the flip side, there may also be merit to updating older or less popular content. If there’s new information or that could revamp an older piece of content into something trending and timely, revising might be a worthwhile endeavor.
How to repurpose your content
Great content comes in all forms and carries across multiple channels. Well-performing content can – and should – be recycled and repurposed into different formats.
There are three key areas to consider when repurposing content: blogs, social media posts, and other formats like webinars, podcasts, and videos.
Consider trying one of these ideas to repurpose and recycle your content.
- Expand a blog post into a series of blog posts, all on the same subject
- Expand a blog post into an e-book
- Turn a popular blog series into an email campaign
- Re-share blog posts on sites like Medium or Quora to gain more readers
- Create an e-newsletter that features your month’s most popular blog posts
- Rewrite and update older blog posts, then republish
Repurpose Social Media Posts:
- Turn social media posts into infographics
- Repurpose social media facts and fun tidbits into a downloadable 1-page guide
- Turn a popular Instagram post into a saved Instagram Story
- Repost social media posts. Experiment with new times to see what hours of the day are most successful.
Repurpose Content into More Formats:
- Consider creating a info-packed presentation that anyone can watch
- Turn written content into short videos, with free services like Biteable
- Create a podcast focused on the content from popular blogs, videos, or social posts. Or consider an interview-focused podcast with VIPs in your field.
- Create a one-off podcast series that chronicles a case study, problem, or shares a great story.
- Create a short e-course that can teach users a new skill or share relevant information.
- Host a webinar, based on information from one of your most popular blog posts. Webinars are a prime channel for engaging with audiences.
- Create a quiz that captures email addresses
- Make a YouTube video that explains or breaks down another piece of popular content